I finished the second crochet Totoro that I made as a gift, and learned a bit along the way. While Kieran adores his, the darker grey in the back, I wasn't satisfied with the shape, as he was tall and skinny, as opposed to short and nicely rounded as shown in the pattern.
I thought that maybe I had made a mistake in the first, or hadn't stuffed him firmly enough, so I made sure to pay close attention to the pattern, and wore my poor arms out stuffing number 2.
While he is a definite improvement, he's still not as chubby as I would like. I hopped on Ravelry and checked out projects made by others, and one person commented that using worsted weight yarn instead of DK weight as specified, would lead to a skinny Totoro. Well duh, now I know! I used worsted of course, since it is easier to find.
Guess I need to make a third one now!